When you are working on important work and are unable to use our touchpad, it is very frustrating.
There are several reasons or solutions which can help you to find out your exact problem.
We’ll walk you through some of the best ways to fix an unresponsive touchpad on your Asus laptop so you can resume using it without difficulty.
Why Does The Touchpad Stop Working?
The touchpad on a laptop can stop working due to a variety of reasons, including driver issues, hardware problems, software conflicts, physical obstructions or dirt, disabled touchpad settings, or a malfunctioning operating system.
Fix An Asus Touchpad Not Working
There are several actions you can take to investigate and resolve the problem if the touchpad on your Asus laptop is not functioning.
1. The Asus Touchpad Drivers Could Be Corrupted, Missing, Or Out Of Date
It might outcome in the touchpad ceasing to function.
1. Update the touchpad driver: Go to the Asus website and download the latest touchpad driver for your laptop model.
2. Roll back the touchpad driver: Try rolling back to the previous version of the driver.
3. Uninstall and reinstall the touchpad driver: In the device manager, locate the touchpad device and right-click to uninstall it.
4. Use a third-party driver updater: You can use a third-party driver updater tool to automatically scan for and update outdated or missing drivers, including the touchpad driver.
5. Restore the system: Try restoring the system to an earlier date when the touchpad was working properly.
After trying the above fixes try an online touchpad tester which can fix the Touchpad Not Working issue.
It can diagnose touchpad problems and identify any faulty components, helping users to troubleshoot and resolve touchpad issues quickly and easily, enabling them to use their touchpad again.
2. F6 Or F9 Key Is Dedicated To Enabling Or Disabling The Touchpad
On some Asus laptop models, the F6 or F9 key is dedicated to enabling or disabling the touchpad.
To enable the touchpad press F6 or F9 button.
3. Update Your Asus Touchpad Driver
The methods to update your Asus touchpad are as follows:
1. Visit the support page for your specific laptop model on the Asus website.
2. Choose “Drivers & Tools” and look for the touchpad driver there. Your current operating system should be selected.
3. Save the most recent touchpad driver to your computer after downloading it.
4. Click on the download file for installation.
5. Restart your computer and see if the touchpad now functions properly.
4. Enable Touchpad In Mouse Settings
Steps are below to enable the touchpad:
1. Open the “mouse setting” through the search bar.
2. In the Mouse settings window, click on the “Additional mouse options” link.
3. Click the “Device Settings” tab inside the Mouse Properties window.
4. Look for the touchpad device in the list of devices and enable it.
5. Save the changes by clicking “ok”.
4. Remove The External Devices And Update BIOS & Windows Update
If your Asus touchpad is not working, it could be due to external devices or outdated BIOS and Windows updates.
1. Any external devices that are connected to your laptop should be disconnected
2. Update the BIOS: Go to the Asus website and download the latest BIOS update for your laptop model.
3. Update Windows: Click on the Windows Start menu and click on “Settings“.
6. Use The Hardware Troubleshooter
Follow the steps to use the hardware troubleshooter:
1. Go to “Settings“.
2. Tap “Update & Security” after which you should click “Troubleshoot“.
3. Click on “Hardware and Devices” in the “Find and fix other problems” section after scrolling down.
4. Click on the “Run the troubleshooter” button and follow the prompts to diagnose and fix any hardware issues.
5. Restart your laptop and check if the touchpad is now working.
7. Set The Touchpad Threshold To The Minimum
Some steps are given below to set the touchpad:
1. Open the control panel.
2. Open the control panel and select the hardware and sound option.
3. Tap on the “Device Settings” tab in the Mouse Properties window.
4. In the Touchpad settings window, look for the option to adjust the touchpad threshold.
5. Click “Apply” and then “OK” to save the changes after reducing overall the touchpad threshold.
8. Perform A Clean Boot
Follow the steps properly to clean the boot:
1. Type “msconfig” in the search bar. The “System Configuration” selection that appears in the search results should be selected.
2. In the System Configuration window, click on the “Services” tab and check the “Hide all Microsoft services” box.
3. Tab “Disable all” to shut down all non-Microsoft services.
4. Open the task manager.
5. In the Task Manager window, disable all startup programs by right-clicking on each program and selecting “Disable“.
6. Close the Task Manager window and click on “OK” in the System Configuration window.
What To Do If A Virus Is Causing Your Laptop’s Touchpad To Malfunction?
If a virus is causing your laptop’s touchpad to malfunction, run a thorough virus scan using reputable antivirus software to remove the virus.
Sometimes malware attacks are also responsible for your laptop’s functioning. You can use any good anti-malware software for scanning your touchpad.
The most important thing is to avoid some malware attacks including spam emails, and unwanted downloads. Also, stay alert from some dangerous websites.
Deep Cleaning Method
The system restores the operating system and all software including wiping the hard drive of your laptop.
Make sure to reload all of your essential files before trying to perform a deep clean.
Here are the steps to perform a deep cleaning:
1. Restart your laptop and enter the BIOS menu by pressing the appropriate key (usually F2 or Delete) during startup.
2. Navigate to the “Boot” section and change the boot order to boot from the installation media (such as a USB drive or DVD) that contains the operating system.
3. Save the changes and exit the BIOS menu.
4. Follow the prompts to reinstall the operating system and all software.
5. Once the installation is complete, run a full system scan using reputable antivirus or anti-malware software to ensure that your laptop is clean.
6. Restore your backed-up files and data.
What Function Key Disables The Touchpad?
The function key that disables the touchpad varies depending on the laptop model, but it is often one of the F1-F12 keys.
Why Is The Touchpad Stuck?
The touchpad on a laptop can become stuck for several reasons, such as hardware issues, outdated drivers, or software conflicts.
It can also be caused by physical obstructions or dirt and debris interfering with the touchpad’s sensors.
Does A Factory Reset Fix The Touchpad?
A factory reset may fix the touchpad issue if it is caused by software-related problems, such as corrupted system files or incompatible drivers.
Sometimes the factory reset also not helps you because of hardware issues, it’s mandatory to check your hardware first and then rest your device.
The article provides several solutions for fixing a touchpad that’s not working on an Asus laptop.
The possible causes of the problem are also listed, including driver issues, hardware problems, software conflicts, physical obstructions or dirt, disabled touchpad settings, or a malfunctioning operating system.
The solutions offered include updating or reinstalling the touchpad driver, enabling the touchpad in the mouse settings, updating BIOS and Windows, removing external devices, using the hardware trouble-shooter, etc.