With evergrowing advancements in the virtual world, various tools have improved productivity and accessibility for the user.
Webcam is such a handy accessory that plays a vital role in video conferencing, online streaming, or other similar tasks.
However, most users experience poor video quality or shuttering frames that affect their overall experience.
In this article, we will discuss ways in which you can increase your FPS on your Webcam, leading to better video quality.
Thus without keeping more suspense, let us dive straight into the article.
How To Check The FPS Of Your Webcam?
Before aiming for higher frame rates, it is vital to know about the webcam’s current frame rates or FPS.
One of the easiest ways to check FPS is to use any online tool such as Webcam Test available on the Internet.
Head to the official website by searching for Webcam Test using any browser and grant permissions to gain technical details like bit rate, frame rates, aspect ratio, and much more.
Users can also rate or review their webcams to assist other users.
How To Increase The FPS On Your Webcam?
Below we have discussed some of the popular ways in which you can increase FPS to improve your experience.
1. Clearing Up Disk Space
Webcams consume and rely on disk space to capture videos. Thus, if your system storage is full, the camera will fail to arrange space for itself, which hinders performance.
Clearing your disk space will help you boost FPS by providing more resources.
To free up the disk space to provide more resources to the hardware, navigate to the storage and delete unwanted files and folders that are no longer required.
You can also use the Disk Cleanup tool using the Start menu to free up space to boost frame rates.
To clear up disk space in Windows or Mac follow the given steps.
Clearing Space in Windows
- Head to the Start menu and search for the Disk Cleanup application.
- Once found, launch the utility tool and choose the disk drives or specific files or folders you wish to clean for more resources.
- Select Delete files once all the files have been sorted. Head back to File Explorer and refresh to apply the changes made to boost frame rates.
Cleaning Space in MAC OS
- Head to the Apple menu tab and locate the System Settings.
- Navigate to General options followed by the Storage tab.
- You will be able to see the storage help by different applications, files, or other elements such as documents, music, and others.
- Press the I (information) tab to clear up the files or apps manually. Users can also upload the files to iCloud to save their data before wiping it out from their system.
2. Picture Brightness
Frame rates also depend on the brightness of the picture. Dim lighting or excessive lightning can cause the frames of the webcam to drop, which spoils the experience.
Thus, make sure to adjust your picture brightness leading to improved quality and FPS.
Users can also try adjusting their system setup to a more vibrant positioning to avoid consuming more resources for the webcam.
It is also crucial to state that you should avoid using background filters for your videos as they lead to a drop in the video quality and the user experience.
Follow the given steps to adjust the brightness on your system.
- Using the Start menu, locate the Settings tab followed by System.
- Under the list of System options, choose Display and adjust the brightness by sliding the bar from left to right to increase the brightness and vice versa.
- Once you have made the ideal adjustments, save the changes to see the results.
3. Adjusting Webcam Settings
The webcam resolution and other settings, such as exposure, can also influence the frame rates for the webcam.
It is recommended to turn off auto exposure and use it at lower resolutions to generate high frame rates by consuming fewer resources.
Furthermore, white balance and filters are other settings that can lead to lower video performance. Thus, it is advisable to disable such options for higher frame rates.
Follow the given steps to change the webcam settings to cater to your needs.
- Navigate to the Start menu and search for Camera. It will launch the application.
- Once the Camera has been enabled, locate the settings icon on the top corner and click on it.
- Now, you can adjust various webcam settings such as the quality of the camera, time-lapse, frame rates, and other advanced options for better personalization.
- Users can also access the Camera privacy settings using the shortcut key Windows + I to grant permission for applications using the camera.
4. Updating Webcam Drivers
One of the simplest ways to boost the performance and image quality of a camera is by updating the driver’s link.
It is crucial to update the drivers frequently to facilitate the functioning of the hardware, leading to better results.
Users can also set the process automatically to detect the latest version. Navigate to the device drivers tab and locate the webcam drivers and choose auto-updates for the drivers.
Thus, you will not have to manually update the driver every time, saving time and effort.
Updating the webcam automatically requires you to follow the given steps on the Windows platform.
- Using the Start menu, search for Device Manager and head to the Imaging Devices category and expand it by clicking on the down arrow.
- Right-click on the device highlighted and select Update Drivers.
- From the given options, choose to update the device drivers automatically. Once you select this option, the system will automatically update the webcam drivers to the latest version.
- Make sure you are connected to the Internet. You can also perform the update manually by choosing to Browse for driver software.
5. Hardware Upgrades
You may have been conducting conferences or streaming using an outdated webcam that is no longer capable of delivering the required quality and frame rates.
In such a case, it is advisable to upgrade to new hardware, which offers a significant performance boost.
It is suggested to opt for hardware offering high-resolution video quality and higher frame rate capability to deliver quality results to the users.
If you are planning to switch to a high-quality webcam we would suggest you go with Logitech BRIO (Best Overall), or Logitech C922 Pro Stream, or Razer Kiyo for high-quality results.
6. Adjusting Streaming Settings
Streaming settings related to the webcam consume high system resources, which can lower the performance and the video quality leading to poor results.
Users can adjust the streaming settings, such as bitrate or resolution to generate smooth and higher-quality results that improve the overall user experience.
However, if you do not use the hardware for streaming, leave the settings untouched, as the default system settings are designed to provide the highest FPS without any issues.
You will have to use GPU Encoding settings to improve the results to cater to your needs.
Follow the given steps to adjust the streaming settings in OBS.
- Launch the OBS application and locate the menu, followed by the Output tab.
- Switch the Output Mode to advanced and head to the Streaming option.
- Switch the Encoding settings from NVENC (available for Nvidia users) or H264AVC (available for AMD graphic card users)
- Tweak the Rate Control option to CBR for better performance.
- Based on your streaming preference such as Youtube or Twitch users can adjust the bitrate settings to 10000 KB or 6000 KB respectively.
- Adjust the Preset to Quality using the dropdown menu and change the max B frame rates to 2 for finer results.
7. Using Third-party Software To Boost FPS
Some third-party software available in the technological world also helps to boost FPS owing to their advanced algorithm.
Applications like OBS Studio and XSplit Cam can help generate extra FPS to cater to their needs by boosting the quality of videos recorded using the camera.
It is also vital to state that using such applications to boost the frame rates does not provide a significant rise in the frame rates or the quality of the video if the issue is hardware related.
Such tools can only amplify the results and avoid software issues to provide an immersive experience to the users.
Follow the given steps to increase the FPS using OBS Studio.
- To allow better utilization of system resources to boost FPS, you will need to run the OBS Studio in administrator mode.
- To adjust the settings, navigate to the application and right-click on it to access the Properties tab.
- Under Properties locate the Compatibility menu and tick the boxes stating to Run the program in administrative mode.
- Apply the new changes and save them to see better results while using OBS Studio to boost the FPS.
8. Overclocking Your Webcam
Overclocking refers to boosting the clock speed related to your webcam, which can contribute to generating higher FPS and better results.
However, it is crucial to state that this method is ideal for advanced users with technical knowledge related to it.
It is not ideal for beginners as it requires users to follow a complex process. Furthermore, there are also some disadvantages of overclocking your hardware which can lead to a further decrease in performance, hampering the overall user experience.
It is also crucial to state that overclocking a webcam can only be done up to the maximum FPS capable of the webcam.
For instance, if the webcam supports only 60 FPS, you can only overclock the device to reach as high as 60 FPS.
Follow the given steps to overclock your webcam for a boost in performance.
- Head to the Official webcam application offered by the developers to access advanced settings. For instance, Logitech users need to download the Logitech capture app to adjust FPS for their webcam.
- Once installed, head to the settings tab followed by Video options. Under the resolution category, switch the FPS to the highest possible rate to overclock the webcam to deliver high-quality results.
What Is The Best FPS For Video Quality?
Traditionally, the best FPS for Video Quality is around 30 FPS. However, if the user is streaming or playing fast-paced games, 60 FPS would be the sweet spot for most users. Users can boost the FPS by following the instructions of the article for better insights.
Can I Increase My Webcam’s Fps Without Upgrading My Hardware?
Yes, users can increase the webcam FPS without upgrading any hardware by updating their drivers to the latest versions, lowering the resolution used, and customizing the camera settings by turning off the auto exposure or white balance, which consumes more system resources leading to poor performance.
What Are The Best Third-party Software Options For Boosting FPS?
OBS Studio and XSPlit cam are some of the best third-party applications which allow you to boost your FPS in your camera without investing in new hardware. However, it is also vital to state that the difference in such FPS is trivial.
Should I Seek Professional Help If I am Having FPS Issues With My Webcam?
Before calling for professional help, you can try the above-stated instructions to boost FPS or improve your video quality. If you are still facing the issue, you may need to contact experts and seek their opinion regarding the problems. You can also consider upgrading to new hardware.
Boosting the FPS can prove to be a boon for the users. The improved video quality will enhance the overall user experience without spending a premium on expensive hardware investments in exchange for better video quality and performance.
Thus, check for driver updates, lower the resolution, and follow other tips in the article to boost frame rates.
However, if you still fail to troubleshoot the issue, you may have to upgrade your outdated hardware and switch to upgraded hardware for more efficient results.
We do hope you liked the article.