Mouse sensitivity is the speed and responsiveness of your mouse or trackpad. That is when you move the mouse pointer, how quickly the pointer moves on the screen.
With increased sensitivity the mouse moves faster and requires less effort to get across the screen. Are you comfortable with the speed you have?
Some people have the requirement of a multi monitor setup or they want the pace to be slower to track where the pointer is going easily.
If the speed of your mouse is not suitable for your needs, you can make some changes to regulate the speed of your mouse. All the OS comes with some predefined settings, which are not always satisfied by the people’s necessities.
The mouse is a critical component that allows you to navigate and complicate actions with ease. Below we discuss some methods used to fix this problem.
Change Mouse Sensitivity On Windows 11 Via Settings
- Open windows, type Mouse settings in the search bar.
- From the list on the left, select Bluetooth & device.
- On the right, scroll through and select the “mouse”.
- Use the ‘mouse pointer speed’ slider to adjust the pointer speed.
Once you complete the steps, the mouse movements will reflect the speed you selected on the settings page.
Change Mouse Sensitivity On Windows 10 Via Settings
- Use the keyboard shortcut Windows Key + 1 to appear settings.
- Open settings, search for ease of access and click the first result.
- Use the slider to adjust the pointer speed and pointer acceleration until your cursor speed is suitable
Once you complete the steps, the mouse speed will change to the level you specified.
Using Control Panel
- Open the start menu.
- From the start, type cpl and select the control panel app in the best match section
- The control panel will open, then type mouse in the search field of the control panel.
- Select the change the mouse pointer display or speed option from the list
- Mouse properties window will open, be sure to select the pointer options tab.
- Adjust the select a pointer speed slider in the motion section to your performance and click the enhance pointer precision option.
- Click on apply and ok to apply the settings.
Using Registry Method
- Open the “Start Menu” by pressing the Windows key.
- Search for regedit and click the top result to open the registry editor.
- Browser the following path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control panel\Mouse
- Double click the mouse sensitivity key and set the value to any number from 1 to 20 to set the desired speed
Tip: If the default value is 10, which means you should use a smaller number to make the mouse slower and a higher number to make it faster.
- Click the ok button
- Restart your computer
Once you complete the step, your mouse will be at the desired speed. A friendly reminder is that editing the registry is risky as it can cause irreversible damage to your installation If you don’t do it correctly.
Recommended to make a full backup of the PC before proceeding.
Using Mouse DPI Button
If we are speaking technically, this is the easiest method to change the mouse sensitivity in a single click, if your mouse has a DPI button. Most of the office mice do not have a DPI button. But this feature is found on gaming mice.
There are 3 and 7 different modes for a DPI button depending on your mouse. You will already have a default setting i.e 700-800 DPI for a general use, and switch lets you change to a lower or higher DPI up to 3000-4500 with a single click.
With a microsoft mouse, for example the first time you click the DPI button, you will be prompted to set an alternative resolution with a single click.
Once it is set, clicking your DPI button toggles you from your default resolution to your higher or lower resolution, then back again on the next click.
Using Third Party Software
Mouse sensitivity is directly proportional to the number of DPI. That means, the greater the number of DPI, higher will be the sensitivity. If your mouse is not having a DPI On- the- fly button, you can install the manufacturer’s software to adjust the pointer speed. Popular brands like Logitech, Microsoft etc.
For demonstration , we will take Logitech.
- Download the G Hub Software from the official website or make sure you have it with you.
- Open the application and select the connected mouse.
- Press the four arrows icon to get the sensitivity in DPI section
- From the left or right panel, click on any predefined DPI speed number to change the sensitivity. Also you can select anywhere on the slider to create a new DPI speed or simply glide the existing one to edit the value.
- If you are not satisfied with the configuration, you may directly hit the restore default setting button to revert the change.
Some video games offer different in-game sensitivity settings. Example, the popular battle royal fortnite allows you to tweak the X – Axis, Y – Axis, DPI, Targeting, and other sensitivity settings to improve your overall gameplay.
This way, you do not have to adjust anything on windows, and the alteration only applies within the video game.
When you are suffering the issue that mouse sensitivity changes randomly, you can run the hardware and devices troubleshooter to fix it without losing anything on your computer.
Search for the Command Prompt in the search bar, right-click Command Prompt from the Best match to choose Run as administrator.
Click Yes in the pop-up window to enter the Command Prompt panel.
Type msdt.exe -id Device Diagnostic in the panel and press Enter.
You will get into the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter interface. Click Advanced at the left-bottom to unfold the Apply repairs automatically option. Enable this option and then click Next to start detecting problems.
Click Close when the detecting process is completed . Now, the problems detected have been repaired and the issue that mouse sensitivity randomly changes may disappear.
Is There A Shortcut To Change Mouse Sensitivity?
Using the app you can adjust the mouse sensitivity and acceleration by shortcuts.(+) key in numerical pad can increase sensitivity,(-) key in numerical pad can decrease sensitivity and (*) key multiplication key will turn on/off .
Why Is My Mouse Sensitivity So High All Of A Sudden?
Mouse sensitivity changes randomly and that may be a reason for the above issue.
Disconnect and reconnect the mouse,connect your mouse using a different port,check the mouse with another PC or laptop and make sure you are not touching the pad accidently.
How Do I Fix My Mouse Sensor Is Too Sensitive?
If your mouse doesn’t work as expected, the most likely cause is a mouse driver or touchpad driver problem.Update your mouse and touchpad drivers manually. You can update your driver manually by going to the hardware manufacturer’s website, and searching for the latest driver.
Where Is Mouse Sensitivity In Windows 10?
To access mouse settings, select the Start button, then Select Settings > Ease of Access > Mouse. Turn on the toggle under Control your mouse with a keypad if you want to control your mouse using a numeric keypad. Select Change other mouse options to change your primary mouse button, set scrolling options, and more.
Mouse DPI is the standard measure for mouse sensitivity. The best Dpi range for general use on HD screens is 800 – 2000 DPI.
Mouse wired or wireless should not have any effect on sensitivity. There isn’t a specific mouse sensitivity that works for all people ,it’s a matter of personal preference .
Moreover to avoid injuries or strain ,do not squeeze the mouse. Hold it loosely in your hand with a relaxed grip.
Keep your wrist straight. Your forearm, wrist and fingers should be in a straight line. Move the mouse from elbow joint , rather than just moving your wrist